Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Four Years Later

This month (this weekend actually) marks four years since the day that Todd and I met. It's weird for me to think back to the people we were when we first met because we were so different then. Todd was fresh off of his mission and a summer of selling, wanting to study business "or something". I was on a kick of moving to DC, maybe going to grad school, saving the whales, counting down the days until the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1... normal stuff.


Six months later we went on our first date (that lasted an entire weekend) and I remember thinking, I actually like being around this guy. We did long distance for the first eight months of our relationship from DC to Virginia, then from Provo to Logan while I finished my last semester of school. What was most impressive was we never ran out of things to talk about.


Dating was so fun because we were constantly doing fun things. From exploring DC to going to see my favorite band in concert, we never ran out of things to do. We would go running and snowboarding, visit Park City, go shopping, go hiking, watch sports and cheer for opposing teams. It was the first time that I actually didn't get sick of being around someone all the time. 


I'm incredibly grateful for the person I was before I met Todd, but I am even more grateful for the person I am now. Being married, I have been able to accomplish so many of my dreams like going to Europe, living on the east coast, getting a dog, etc. I know I could have done all of these things on my own, but it's so much better to go through it with someone you love. Truly, I mean that. Every time I broke down and cried when something was hard, or got a raise at work, or celebrated my birthday, it was so much better going through it together.


Forever grateful for that day that I met Todd outside the Costa Vida at the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City (which is no longer there by the way) four years ago. Here's to years and years of adventures to come!

-Makenzie

1 comment: